Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Day 4 - Florence



From Feltre we took the train to Firenze (Florence). 


Market on the street

Cosimo I
When we arrived in Florence we had just enough time to throw our luggage in the rooms and freshen up.  We met our tour guide, Corin, and headed to the Galleria del'Accademia. Michelangelo's orginal David is located here now with a number of his other works.  A copy of the David statue is located in a public square, outside the Palazzo della Signoria, the seat of civic government in Florence, where it was originally unveiled in 1504.
Michelangelo's orginal David is located here now with a number
 of his other works. 

 ,
 
 A copy of the David statue is located
 in a public square,
outside the Palazzo della Signoriathe seat of civic government in Florence, where it was originally unveiled in 1504
Corrin en"lightening" us on
history & how urine was used for
lightening your hair & to get
a secondary high from someone else!

Michelangelo's Doni Tondo
 We toured the Galleria degli Uffizi, which was commissioned in 1560 by Cosimo I of the Medici family to be a suite of offices for the magistrate's administration.  It now belongs to the city and contains masterworks of paintings and sculptures dating from the middle ages.
Botticelli's Birth of Venus

Rosso Fiorentino's Madonna and Child with Saint

I have a print of this painting, Musical Angel, that has been in my house for years.
I was a little disturbed by Rosso Fiorentino's work which may
have been his attempts to make a statement for his day.

 We were pretty exhausted after our tour -
there were so many famous works in one place - it was overwhelming. 




Duomo S. Maria del Fiore, construction started in 1296 under Arnolfo di Cambio.  The Campanile construction began in 1334 under Giotto di Bondone and was finished under Andrea Pisano and Francesco Talenti.
 

We were ready for dinner!  Kenny tried a steak with roasted vegetables and I had gnocchi.  We enjoyed a Chianti Classico Castello d'Abola and 2011 Chianti Classico Banfi.


I'm pretty sure these pictures were taken just before we got lost on
our way back to Hotel Porta Faenze.  Florence has an active nightlife,
it actually seems busier at night than in the daytime.


 

 

















No comments:

Post a Comment